The Director of Network Engineering will lead and grow an engineering organization responsible for the design, engineering and deployment of data based network infrastructures and customer solutions. The Director of Network Engineering will recruit, hire, develop and retain an engineering staff comprised of employees and contractors. The Director of Network Engineering will serve as the product manager for all data services provided by Allied Telecom.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead Engineering Staff
- Recruit, hire, develop and retain qualified engineers in support of assigned projects and areas of responsibility
- Manage engineering projects including assigning resources, managing priorities and defining measureable milestones
- Evaluate employee performance against assigned objectives and provide feedback to ensure successful completion of objectives. This includes actively participating in the quarterly performance review process
- Identify appropriate training to develop staff resources
- Manage capital budgets regarding assigned projects
- Actively seek out opportunities for informal and formal recognition within the team
- Manage contract resources as necessary within budgets to meet objectives
- Provide proactive leadership strategies for assigned technologies to ensure company establishes and maintains technological advantage
- Oversee the research and development of new products, services or capabilities
- Build culture around Allied core values
- Identify future leaders and provide mentoring to further develop skills and abilities
- Develop team goals and milestones to meet business objectives
- Review, optimize and improve processes and procedures
- Network Availability
- Oversee the management of network capacity, ensuring that Allied is positioned to accommodate both existing traffic and anticipated growth
- Lead efforts to validate and test redundancy and resiliency on a scheduled basis
- Cross Functional Support
- Work with Sales to provide training for Sales Engineering, support ICB (one-off) requests and identify new opportunities for lighting buildings
- Work with Service Delivery to design solutions, support technical calls, identify appropriate service delivery methods, and document the solutions
- Support the Network Operations Center by providing an escalation point, training analysts and documenting, the core infrastructure to assist with trouble shooting as needed
- Support the Finance department by providing necessary metrics and reporting enabling us to effectively audit our bills from vendors and ensure that we are appropriately billing our voice customers
- Supply Chain/Vendor Management
- Manage the inventory cost by overseeing the replenishment, RMA, and return processes for core network equipment and systems
- Maintain ongoing vendor relationships by meeting with suppliers periodically, providing report cards for core network equipment and systems
- Product Management
- Recommends the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas and/or product or packaging changes.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Translates product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes
- Act as a product evangelist to build awareness and understanding
- Assist the CIO in managing the annual Engineering budget. This includes (but is not limited to): Provide forecasts for hardware, software, and staff and managing variances
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or other related field; or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. A Master’s degree in Business Administration (or MBA) is desired.
- 8+ years of progressively broader scope of responsibilities to include systems, planning, budgeting and management of teams; or combination of applicable experience, education, and training which provides the knowledge and skills needed to perform job duties.
- Telecommunications or Internet Service Provider (ISP) experience is required. Sr. Manager or Director level experience in an Engineering organization is preferred.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to interact with all levels of employees in a professional manner.
- As an essential function of this position, the employee must be able to handle high levels of stress satisfactorily and be congenial with other employees and customers at all times.
- Standard office/computer equipment with knowledge of various software packages, operating systems and operational support systems.
Allied Telecom Group is the region’s most highly regarded network service provider. Based in the Washington DC Metro Area, serving businesses along the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Corridor, we’re a single source provider of Internet, Data Transport, Voice, Unified Communications, and Professional Services. For over 20 years Allied has been distinguished by the expert, full-service care we provide to every client – no matter how big or small.
Allied has a commitment to its Community, Employees and Employees’ families. We offer outstanding benefits at a low cost – Health Insurance, FSA, HSA, 401(k), PTO, Holiday Pay, Employee Assistance, Training and "Give Back!" Programs are just a few of the perks! Allied is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer and evaluates applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Allied complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.