The Network Engineer 3 will assist with or operate independently in designing, building and managing the performance for the core network infrastructure while optimizing and controlling network costs. The Network Engineer 3 will manage the network capacity, grooming activities and peering relationships in addition to serving as the primary vendor liaison for network services and equipment. Additionally, this individual will create and maintain the associated low-level design (LLD) documentation. Finally, this individual will assist when necessary in trouble analysis for problems occurring within the production network.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assist/create/augment network design concepts to create a service platform that is comprised of multiple technology verticals. This includes the creation of the Low-Level Design document (LLD)
- If required, assist in the execution of a complete vendor evaluation for each network component culminating in a vendor recommendation. This includes the creation of a vendor analysis and decision document
- Assist/execute Proof of Concept (POC) tests in the laboratory to validate network design concepts and/or custom software solutions. This includes the creation of a test plan and results document
- Create a high-level bill-of-materials (BOM) required to implement the specified network design concept. This is a budgetary estimate only.
- Function as a point of escalation for Network Operations regarding complex issues that arise within the production network. Subsequently, will work the issue(s) until final resolution
- Create and maintain technical relationships with vendors providing network components to Allied Telecom. This includes staying abreast of new hardware platforms or new features on existing hardware platforms that could benefit existing or future clients
- Develop and hone necessary skills associated with IP networking in order to perform effectively and advance to senior technical levels
- Interact with various inter and intra departmental peer groups to cooperatively achieve best results in all assigned tasks
- Execute assigned tasks within assigned time frames and budgets. May work with and take direction from project managers to ensure completion as necessary
General Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or industry equivalent professional certification
- 5+ years of experience as an individual contributor within a service provider Network Architecture or Network Engineering group
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in operating systems to include Mac OS X, Windows XP/7, Unix (or Unix variants) and/or Linux experience is a plus.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or industry equivalent professional certification
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills with a high degree of attention to detail
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to interact with all levels of employees in a professional manner
- As an essential function of this position, the employee must be able to handle high levels of stress satisfactorily and be congenial with other employees and customers at all times
Technical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of data network elements such as IP routers, Ethernet switches, EoC hardware, firewalls, etc
- Knowledge of IPv4 & IPv6 network technologies such as IP addressing (CIDR, VLSM, HEX), ARP, etc
- Knowledge of Layer-2 network technologies including Ethernet WAN, MEF services (ELINE, ELAN, EVPN), IEEE standards 802.1x & 802.3xx, 802.1ad Q-n-Q, 802.1q VLAN tagging, Ethernet OAM 802.3ah and 802.1ag and Provider Bridges (MAC in MAC)
- Knowledge of IP related protocols such as OSPF, BGP-4, MPLS (MP-BGP/RSVP/LDP)
- Knowledge of IP QoS technologies; DiffServ, classification/marking, queuing, and traffic conditioning
Allied Telecom Group is the region’s most highly regarded network service provider. Based in the Washington DC Metro Area, serving businesses along the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Corridor, we’re a single source provider of Internet, Data Transport, Voice, Unified Communications, and Professional Services. For over 20 years Allied has been distinguished by the expert, full-service care we provide to every client – no matter how big or small.
Allied has a commitment to its Community, Employees and Employees’ families. We offer outstanding benefits at a low cost – Health Insurance, FSA, HSA, 401(k), PTO, Holiday Pay, Employee Assistance, Training and "Give Back!" Programs are just a few of the perks! Allied is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer and evaluates applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Allied complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.